LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Former USC campus gynecologist George Tyndall, who is charged with sexually assaulting 16 patients, had his nearly $2.1 million bail reduced to $1.6 million today, despite his attorneys asking that the amount be set as low as $350,000.
Attorneys for Tyndall, 72, argued that their client is not a flight risk or a danger to the community. If Tyndall is able to post bail, he will be confined to his home and barred from practicing medicine.
He is due back in court Friday, when a date will be set for a preliminary hearing.
Tyndall, who has been accused of sexually abusing hundreds of patients during his decades-long career at USC, was arrested June 26 outside his Mid- Wilshire apartment. He complained of chest pains after being arrested and was taken to a hospital for treatment, but was moved into the county jail two days later.
Alleged victims have claimed they were inappropriately fondled or photographed by Tyndall under the guise of gynecological exams. Many also accused him of making sexually charged comments during the exams.
Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore said last month that a dozen LAPD detectives have investigated assault allegations by more than 350 women and presented more than 130 potential cases to the District Attorney's Office, raising the possibility of more charges being filed.
USC officials said the university has been cooperating with the investigation.
Hundreds of former patients have sued Tyndall and USC, accusing the university of failing to respond to allegations of abuse by the campus gynecologist dating back decades.
On June 13, a federal judge in Los Angeles gave preliminary approval to a $215 million class-action settlement with some of the plaintiffs.
Hundreds of other women are still suing the university and Tyndall in state court. Attorneys for those alleged victims have criticized the federal class-action settlement, calling it inadequate.
The lawsuits contend the university received numerous complaints of Tyndall's alleged sexually abusive behavior, dating back to at least 1988, and actively and deliberately concealed his actions. Attorneys for some former patients allege that following an internal investigation of complaints against Tyndall in 2016, the university paid Tyndall a substantial financial settlement so he would quietly resign.
USC officials have denied any cover-up.
In an open letter to faculty and staff in May 2018, USC Provost Michael Quick said top administrators did not know about the complaints until 2016.
``It is true that our system failed, but it is important that you know that this claim of a cover-up is patently false,'' Quick wrote. ``We would never knowingly put students in harm's way.''
In a letter sent to the USC community, Austin stressed that the university has ``significantly strengthened operations and oversight at the Student Health Center,'' including hiring more female physicians and new protocols for investigating complaints.