Photo courtesy of Getty Images
You've probably been hearing a lot about these metal drinking straws.
They were made to help save the planet and stop plastic straws from polluting the ocean.
However, these straws can be dangerous.
The New York Post reports that Elena Struthers-Gardner from Broadstone, England had fallen while she was drinking from a metal drinking straw. It went through her left eye and killed her.
Struthers-Gardner used to be a jockey and was prone to falling after an injury sustained by falling off her horse.
The day that she was impaled, she was drinking from a cup that had a metal straw attached to a "screw-top lid".
Mandy Struthers-Gardner, her wife says, "I did not hear her fall. Her glass cup was lying on the floor still intact and the straw was still in the jar. I noticed the straw was sticking into her head".
Elena was rushed to the hospital and died the next day.
The coroner warns people not to drink from metal straws attached to these lids because there won't be any room for the straw when your body hits it.
Mandy says, "I just feel that in the hands of mobility-challenged people like Elena, or children, or even able-bodied people losing their footing, these [straws] are so long and very strong. Even if they don't end a life, they can be very dangerous".
Listen below to hear Mark Thompson talk about it!