More than 100 employees at Santa Anita Racetrack came together on Thursday in support of their jobs and the continuation of horse racing.
A spokesperson for the workers told KFI's Andrew Mollenbeck that Santa Anita is a life line for thousands of people.
"People that love horses and do everything in their power to take care of the horses," Oscar de la Torre said. "People have realized the American Dream working here at Santa Anita. People who fear losing their jobs."
Several protests have been held at the track after more than two dozens horses died since the racing season began in December.
Earlier this month, Governor Gavin Newsom called for an independent examination of horses before they race.
“I continue to be troubled by the horse deaths at Santa Anita Park,” Newsom said at the time. “Enough is enough. I am calling on the California Horse Racing Board to ensure that no horse races until they are examined by independent veterinarians and found fit to compete.
Santa Anita announced new safety measures they say will help protect horses training and racing at their park. The California Horse Racing Board announced that a group of five people would review the racing, training, and medical histories of every horse. All five members of the review team must agree that a horse's injury risk won't be elevated if they were to run.
Twenty-nine horses have died at the track since the racing season opened in December.