Photo Courtesy of Getty Images
Game of Thrones ended Sunday and reviews have been mixed to say the least.
Some people have found this entire season a little rough and the finale is no exception.
So, I wanted to know what are the best and worst season finales according to the people who work on Super Hyper Local Sunday. Oh, and spoiler alerts for Blackadder, Newhart, Seinfeld, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, How I Met Your Mother, Breaking Bad, and Frasier.
- Best: Blackadder
- I'm going to be completely honest...I've never actually watched Blackadder so I can't even give you a synopsis, but he seems to like it. Check it out below!
- Best (American): Newhart
- If you like your shows more American, his favorite American show ending is Newhart. This is a classic. Newhart stars Bob Newhart as Dick Louden living in a bizarre small town in Vermont. What makes the show legendary is the final shot. Bob Newhart wakes up from a dream and talks to his wife, Suzanne Pleshette, from his first show, The Bob Newhart Show. It's a beautiful punchline that puts the entire show in a different perspective.
- Worst: Seinfeld
- It's a legendary show with a really disappointing ending. It's essentially a clip show. These are episodes that are usually reserved for filler when writers don't know what to do. The story line of the characters being so awful that they go to prison is an interesting sendoff but they completely flubbed the landing.
- Best: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Another classic that ends on a touching note. First you have the heartfelt conversation between Will and Uncle Phil. Then you have the final shot of the empty house. It's an ending that is not only emotional but also has a really good joke thrown in there to remind us of how much the show made us laugh.
- Worst: How I Met Your Mother
- Full disclosure: I never watched this show. I never had anything against it. I just didn't get around to watching it. I do know fans were really upset by the writers bringing in a character they had expected to see for the entire series and then kill her off. Yeah, sorry if you got caught up in all that.
- Best: Breaking Bad
- I just noticed there were a lot of sitcoms on this list and Breaking Bad needs some love. Is it the best episode of the show? No. That would go to Ozymandias. But it is a very satisfying conclusion. It serves to wrap up the series by bringing in characters that we hadn't seen in a while, having some pitch black comedy, showing us a lot of violence, and giving Walter White a lot of luck. It's classic Breaking Bad.
- Best (Yes I get two. I wrote the article): Frasier
- It's the speech. That's what makes the ending perfect. At its core, Frasier is about loneliness. After years of trying to get along with his family and friends, he has finally found a home in Seattle. But as everyone gets new families and moves on with their lives, Frasier is kind of left behind. So, he takes a chance by chasing a woman he loved. The speech reminds us that even though we will always have the easy and comfortable way, it is far more rewarding to take a risk and move forward.
- Worst: W/Bob and David
- Sure, why not? I don't have a good answer for "worst ending" because unless I'm in love with a show, I just don't finish it. I am in love with W/ Bob and David. It's a spiritual successor to Mr. Show starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. There are only five episodes and almost all of the sketches are brilliant. Did I say there were five episodes? Well that's kind of wrong because the fifth episode is just a behind-the-scenes documentary. I can't even give you an ending clip because there is no proper ending. So check out one of my favorite sketches below.
That is our list! Listen below to hear Bryan Suits talk about some more endings and his thoughts on Game of Thrones.