Fourth Man Dies of Injuries Suffered During Attacks in LA and Santa Monica

posted by City News Service - 

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - A fourth man has died of injuries suffered during a series of attacks on mostly homeless people in Los Angeles and Santa Monica, and police today said they will ask for an additional murder charge to be filed against the man accused of the assaults.

The man, who had been hospitalized since being attacked Sept. 24 while sleeping near Seventh Street and Broadway in Santa Monica, died on Sunday evening, said Santa Monica police Lt. Saul Rodriguez. His name was withheld, pending notification of his relatives.

Ramon Escobar, 47, was arrested in connection with the attacks and he is being held without bail while awaiting arraignment Nov. 8 on three counts of murder, five counts of attempted murder and four counts of second-degree robbery, along with special circumstance allegations of multiple murders and murder during a robbery. Prosecutors have yet to decide whether to seek the death penalty against him.

Escobar was arrested Sept. 24 in Santa Monica following the early morning assault on the victim who died on Sunday.

Escobar is a native of El Salvador who was deported to his homeland six times between 1997 and 2011, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

title

Content Goes Here