Hurricane Florence is getting ready to hit the coasts of the Carolinas.
(Watch live updates of the storm above.)
But with all of the media attention it's getting... That also comes with a lot of false reports and scams.
Jane Lytvynenko, a reporter at BuzzFeed News, decided to track down all of the Hurricane Florence scams she could find...
Here's a list she's kindly put together of the hoaxes surrounding this particular storm:
I'm keeping track of Hurricane #Florence hoaxes, rumors, and other garbage in the thread below 👇— Jane Lytvynenko 🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️ (@JaneLytv) September 12, 2018
See something? DM me or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. THERE ARE NO SHARKS IN THE HURRICANE!
Going to start with hoaxes from last year likely to have a resurgence.— Jane Lytvynenko 🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️ (@JaneLytv) September 12, 2018
1. THERE ARE NO SHARKS IN THE STREET OR IN THE HURRICANE DON'T DO THIS. pic.twitter.com/0TeZ5cyfX0
2. Some people think that hotels are required to accommodate your pets.
Well, they're not. (They said it, not us.)
3. Storing your valuables in a dishwasher is inadvisable. pic.twitter.com/tyw9jlhFS7— Jane Lytvynenko 🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️🤦🏽♀️ (@JaneLytv) September 12, 2018
3. Don't put your important documents in the dishwasher.
Even the companies that make dishwashers are telling you this isn't a thing...
not sure about this one- pic.twitter.com/M3tS3u4rEP— sandy (@sandycompany) September 12, 2018
But a washing machine beer cooler?
Hmm... Not the worst idea though...
Check out the entire list of fake news scams on BuzzFeed News.