Twenty-seven minutes of footage from outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on the afternoon of the Valentine's Day massacre has been released by the Broward Sheriff's office.
A Florida judge ordered the release of surveillance video by noon on Thursday after several media organizations sued to obtain the footage. According to the New York Times, the video shows Scot Peterson, an armed school resource officer stay outside and take cover behind a wall while the gunman went on his six-minute rampage.
The Broward County Sheriff's Office has been criticized for its response to the shooting that left 17 people dead more than a month ago at the Florida high school.
In the video, Deputy Scot Peterson can be seen flagging down another staff member and taking a golf cart to the freshman building where the shooter was located. Once there, students can be seen running outside, as Peterson takes cover behind a wall.
A timeline provided by the sheriff's office said that while standing outside, Peterson issued updates over the radio, including directions to other officers to the building on campus, and asking for streets to be shut down.
In a press conference about the footage back on Feb. 22nd, Sheriff Scott Israel said the video showed Peterson doing "nothing" while the shooting was happening and watching it made him "sick to my stomach."
Peterson was suspended without pay, and he resigned to take early retirement shortly thereafter.
Last week, 911 calls made to the Broward County Sheriff's Office and Coral Springs Police Department were released by authorities, demonstrating the fear and confusion of the first few moments on February 14th. Parents could be heard relaying information from students inside the school to dispatchers.
Nicolas Cruz has been indicted on 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder in the first degree for last month's shooting spree.