Pilot: "If you haven't already, roll the fire trucks."
Air traffic control: "They will be standing by."
Passengers traveling from San Francisco to Honolulu underwent a terrifying ordeal on Tuesday when the cover of their second engine mid-flight.
Several passengers shot video and photo of the harrowing experience and posted them to social media.
What we know
- Passengers on United Flight 1175 were surprised after hearing a "big metallic bang"
- The bang was followed by the cabin starting to shake
- The jet was forced to make an emergency landing
- The United pilot requested the control tower have firetrucks dispatched:
- Pilot: "If you haven't already, roll the fire trucks."
- Air traffic control: "They will be standing by."
Jeff Carter was aboard and took footage of himself and the other passengers remaining surprisingly calm and seated during what was undoubtedly one of the scariest moments of their lives:
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) posted on their official news outlet Twitter account that they were sending a team to investigate the incident: