Photo Credit: Getty Images
Thanksgiving Travelers flying in and out of Atlanta, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Dallas should prepare for longer than usual security lines, delays, and busier terminals, according to a report released by travel companies Hopper and InsureMyTrip.
California’s own Los Angeles International Airport came in at second place on the list of the busiest airports. LAX can expect over a million total passenger departures during Thanksgiving week.
Both Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York can expect over 800,000 departures. At the bottom of the top 10 was Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, with a little over 600,000 expected departures.
Hopper and InsureMyTrip also concluded that domestic flight prices for this Thanksgiving are up 12% from last year when an average round-trip ticket was $288.
If you’re looking to spend money on your Thanksgiving travel, you should leave on Monday, November 20 and return Wednesday, November 29, the report found.
Here are the top 10 busiest airports during Thanksgiving week:
1. ATL - Atlanta - 1,382,846 passengers departing
2. LAX - Los Angeles - 1,134,894 passengers departing
3. ORD - Chicago - 1,020,476 passengers departing
4. DFW - Dallas - 850,314 passengers departing
5. JFK - New York - 837,078 passengers departing
6. DEN - Denver - 772,831 passengers departing
7. SFO - San Francisco - 745,123 passengers departing
8. LAS - Las Vegas - 636,132 passengers departing
9. CLT - Charlotte - 623,829 passengers departing
10. PHX - Phoenix - 613,433 passengers departing