Findings from the Cato 2017 Free Speech and Tolerance Survey, a new national poll of 2,300 U.S. adults, show that 71% of Americans believe that political correctness has hindered important discussions that society needs to have.
58% of Americans think that today's PC culture prevents them from speaking out and sharing their own political beliefs.
Democrats (53%) don't feel the need to self-censor, while Republicans (73%) and Independents (58%) say they keep their thoughts to themselves.
- 51% of staunch liberals say it’s “morally acceptable” to punch Nazis.
- 53% of Republicans favor stripping U.S. citizenship from people who burn the American flag.
- 51% of Democrats support a law that requires Americans use transgender people’s preferred gender pronouns.
- 65% of Republicans say NFL players should be fired if they refuse to stand for the anthem.
- 58% of Democrats say employers should punish employees for offensive Facebook posts.
- 47% of Republicans favor bans on building new mosques.
- 59% of liberals say it’s hate speech to say transgender people have a mental disorder; only 17% of conservatives agree.
- 39% of conservatives believe it’s hate speech to say the police are racist; only 17% of liberals agree.
- 80% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say illegal immigrants should be deported; only 36% of conservatives agree.
- 87% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say women shouldn’t fight in military combat roles, while 47% of conservatives agree.
- 90% of liberals say it’s hateful or offensive to say homosexuality is a sin, while 47% of conservatives agree.
Are you also fed up with political correctness? Do you feel silenced?