Veteran Heard Shots, Stole Truck, and Saved Lives

Taylor Winston, a 29 year old Marine veteran was in attendance at Las Vegas’ Route 91 Festival. The veteran ran from danger as a sniper opened fire on the crowd of concert goers. Instead of hiding or leaving he drove more than a dozen victims to the hospital.

Winston helped victims into a stolen truck and made his way to Desert Springs Medical Center, responding before ambulances were on the scene.

"Me and a friend went and got a few drinks and found our other friends near the side stage and we just kind of posted up there to watch and enjoy the concert," Winston said.

Winston, and girlfriend Jenn Lewis, were dancing, stage right. Moments later, the gunfire began.

"People started scattering and screaming and that's when we knew something real was happening," Winston said.

He, like thousands of others, was trapped by the perimeter fence.

"The shots got louder and louder, closer to us and saw people getting hit, it was like we could be hit at any second. Once we got to the fence, I helped throw a bunch of people over, and got myself over," Winston said. "It was a mini war zone but we couldn't fight back."

The 29-year-old veteran couldn't fight the threat, but he was able to drive.

"I saw a field with a bunch of white trucks. I tested my luck to see if any of them had keys in it, first one we tried opening had keys sitting right there. I started looking for people to take to the hospital," Winston said. "There was just too many and it was overwhelming how much blood was everywhere."

Victims squeezed into the backseat and in the bed of the truck.

"Once we dropped them off, we were like well, let's go back for round two and go get some more," he said. "I transported probably 20 to 30 people injured to the hospital."

Winston joined the Marines at age 17, he served two tours in Iraq. In 2011, he was honorably discharged as a sergeant.

He credits his service and training for being quick under presser, "I think a lot of my training in the military helped me in the situation. We needed to get them out of there regardless of our safety," he said.

Read the full story at The Daily Beast

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content