Reusable water bottles are riddled with bacteria, more than dog toys


Credit: Getty Images

Reusable water bottles are a good way to save money and cut back on the trash, but a new study shows that they're home to huge levels of disgusting bacteria.

The results showed that drinking from the average bottle "can be many times worse than licking your dog’s toy.”

Researchers tested four different types of reusable bottles after they were used by athletes for a week. They found that the average athlete's bottle had 313,499 CFU (colony-forming units of bacteria).

The average dog toy has 2,937 CFU.

Bottles with a slide-top, which are handy to have on a treadmill, were found to have the most germs.

  • Slide top bottles: Average of 933,340 CFU
  • Straw top bottles: Average of 25.4 CFU (not too shabby)
  • Classic screw-top bottle: Average of 159,060 CFU
  • Squeeze top bottle: Average of 161,971 CFU

Although the slide top had the most bacteria, that bacteria found in the squeeze top was way more harmful.

Nearly 99% of the bacteria found in the squeeze bottle was classified as harmful and there were traces of E. Coli.

It's okay to stick to plastic bottles. Don't let the eco-scolds force you into changing your habits if you don't want to. Plus, you can still recycle those bottles.

And if you do have a reusable bottle, just wash it more. 

Read more at Fox News.


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content