Beck Says More Cadets May Have Ridden in Stolen Police Cruisers


More arrests have been made in connection with the LAPD Cadet scandal as an investigation of the program continues. Chief Charlie Beck told the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners that the juvenile cadets may have had knowledge or involvement in the scheme to steal police cruisers. 

``We have found in our investigation a handful of cadets that may have had some knowledge or association with the group already arrested that could cause a reaction by our department - either a criminal investigation or  removal from the program or a diversion,'' Beck said. 

The investigation into the cadet program began following the arrests of three cadets for allegedly stealing two squad cars, and ultimately leading authorities on two separate high-speed chases and crashes on June 14. 

Investigators believe the cadets used their knowledge of the LAPD's inventory system to gain access and checked the vehicles out under an LAPD sergeant's name who was on vacation. 

Three of the cadets were arrested following the crash after the high-speed pursuits on June 14th. Four other cadets were later arrested for their involvement. 

Investigators believe the cadets had been pulling people over while impersonating officers and are also suspected of stealing equipment, including tasers, a bulletproof vest, and radios. 

Last week, Beck personally arrested an Officer Robert Cain, a 31-year-old LAPD veteran who allegedly had a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old cadet.  

In a subsequent investigation of Cain's residence, police found more than 100 weapons, some of which, were not legal to own in California. Beck says they're working with the ATF to bring appropriate charges against the officer. 

"We're working with the ATF and charges relative to those issues will be filed with the district attorney as appropriate and when appropriate,'' Beck said.

So far, Beck says there's nothing to indicate any other full-time employees were involved in the car and equipment thefts. A directive was also ordered by the department to limit one-on-one social media contact between officers and cadets. While the LAPD chief continues to express support for the program, a "top-to-bottom" has been ordered for the program. 

The Los Angeles City Council is reviewing a motion submitted by Councilmen Mitchell Englander that calls for a full review of all LAPD youth programs. Englander says an independent investigation may be needed. 


Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content