San Diego Police Shoot, Kill, 15-Year-Old

A San Diego student was shot and killed on Saturday following an officer-involved shooting at Torrey Pines High School. When officers arrived just before 3:30 in the morning, they found the teenager waiting for them. 

SDPD acting Captain Mike Holden said after officers arrived, the teenager pulled a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at the two officers. Police told the student to put the weapon down, but the teenager did not comply according to officers.

When the teen began walking toward one of the officers while pointing the gun at them, officers repeated their commands for him to drop the weapon, but the teen refused. Officers fired their weapons, striking the teen multiple times. 

Police say they later identified the handgun used by the teenager as a 'semi-automatic BB Air pistol.'

Both officers began rendering first aid and summoned paramedics to the scene. The 15-year-old was later pronounced dead at Scripps La Jolla Hospital. 

The teenager's name was not released to the media due to his age. 

In a statement posted to the San Diego Police's Twitter account, the SDPD identified the two officers involved as a twenty-eight year veteran and a four-year veteran of the San Diego Police Department. No officers were hurt during the shooting. 

Police are still investigating what led to the shooting, but they believe the suspect called the police himself to report himself in the third-person for a 'welfare check.' 

In a letter to students on Saturday, Eric Dill, the San Dieguito Union High School District Superintendent confirmed the 15-year-old attended Torrey Pines High School. 

At the San Dieguito Union High School District, one of our key priorities is to provide a safe and secure learning environment for students. I also believe in communicating openly with our school community about incidents that occur on or near our school campuses. 

You may have heard that there was an officer-involved shooting in a parking lot at Torrey Pines High School in the early hours of this morning. I am saddened to report that the 15-year-old boy who was killed was a student at our school. Law enforcement has not released the name of the young man, but our hearts go out to the student, his family, and his friends. 

The SDUHSD Superintendent also wrote that the district would be making counselors available to students on Monday to support students, staff and parents as needed. 

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content