We asked Chef Manouschka Guerrier for some tips for those that are cooking on a smaller scale than usual.
People who are single or are just a couple have different food needs than a family of 4 or more.
Chef Manouschka's tips will help you avoid waste and still make some delicious food!
See her top 5 below:
1. The muffin tin is your BEST friend! You can make single servings of almost anything. Meatloaf, Shepherd's Cupcakes (Shepherd's Pie), Lasagna Cupcakes, Pot Pie... etc freeze & reheat later for yourself or guests.
2. Pick one day to shop & prep your food for the week. Makes it less daunting to cook for yourself every night.
3. Take something like ground beef, a whole salmon filet or chicken & separate in three & make three different meals out of it from tacos, to salads, to sandwiches.
4. Roast a whole chicken at least every 2 weeks, & make a plethora of different things from it like chicken salad, chicken soup, chicken & rice, etc.
5. Shop at your local Farmer's Market you can get the exact portions of food you need for the week without wasting anything. It may be a little pricier, but it's organic locally sourced food that isn't being wasted when it goes bad, which in the long run costs less.
You can also check out Chef Manouschka on NBC's Food Fighters on September 2 at 8PM on NBC. Get more info here.