Photo Credit: Sonoma County Sheriff's Dept.

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — The parents of a 13-year-old boy say they felt they had lost their son again after prosecutors said they would not file criminal charges against a Northern California sheriff's deputy who shot and killed him, mistaking a pellet gun he was carrying for an assault rifle.

The parents of Andy Lopez decried the decision announced Monday by the Sonoma County District Attorney Jill Ravitch, calling it "impossible" to accept.

"This disheartening decision leaves the family feeling as though Andy had been killed again today," Lopez's parents said in a prepared statement released by their lawyer, Arnoldo Casillas.

After the announcement, about 100 protesters marched through the streets of Santa Rosa, where Lopez's death aggravated racial tensions in his mostly Latino neighborhood in the city of about 170,000 people north of San Francisco.

Read more on the KFI News Blog